Saturday 3 July 2010

New skills

Of late I have been expanding my skills base, branching into sewing and crochet. It is important at this point to say that knitting will always be my first love and my main craft, but it is nice to be able to learn new skills and expand the range of creative possibilities, particularly as these three crafts compliment one another well.


This week I completed my first sewing project (beyond my practice straight lines!) and made a draw-string bag. The fabric is "Lucy's farm" in Liberty Tana Lawn and is utterly utterly gorgeous, so much lovely detail and a good balance between real style and good fun. Even better, I got it on sale! The lining is simply some very plain pale blue poly-cotton from our local department store's haberdashery department. It has wobbles in places, but overall I'm very pleased with it.

4 comments:

  1. what a lovely first project. the liberty fabric is so pretty. im sure you will get the hang of the sewing machine in no time. as a coincidence ive just started to use the machine a tiny bit myself, will be posting about a top i made, however i did have alot of help with it!

    happy sewing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Well done hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both :) Look forward to seeing your top Em - I haven't braved clothing yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, i'm trying to find this fabric online but can't anywhere! I absolutely adore it. Did you get it from the store? Any help in hunting it down would be fantastic! Thank you and pretty laundry bag :-)

    ReplyDelete