Tuesday 13 March 2012

Some white elephants

I am not usually the sort of person who finds fantastic things hidden away in unlikely places, but this past week has been different. Firstly in a charity shop I found the most gorgeous single ball of soft, light and fluffy angora blend yarn. It is enough for a small pair of fingerless mitts for me I think, probably something based on the Toast mitts, but adapted for the weight of yarn.
In the same shop I also found a tiny ball of vintage Emu wool yarn in the most eye catching shade of blue, ideal for toy making or something similar. However, I found more than yarn, I came away with two vintage patterns, one for a men's cardigan, the other a baby layette, in bri-nylon (suffice it to say, if I knit it, it will not be in bri-nylon!) and a novel I've been wanting to read for a while, Invitation to the Waltz, by Rosamond Lehmann. I recently read her novel Dusty Answer, which is a fabulous novel, so I'm looking forward to reading this new one.
Lastly in a separate trip out I found this piece of fabric lurking in the remnants' bin of my local department store's somewhat down at heel haberdashery department (which I only tend to visit if I am desperate for something). I simply had to have it: those elephants are so sweet! Though the only snag is that I have no clear idea what I am going to do with it, but at that price it doesn't matter too much for now. Ideas welcomed.
Back to my knitting now, going on with the lace scarf in the Jungle colours, done nine repeats of the main lace pattern so far and I am very much enjoying it, lace is so soothing, requiring that bit more concentration than normal. I find it particularly good for stress since it is so immersive, making you live in the moment with the stitches and the yarn flowing through your fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment