Sunday 2 March 2014

Spring

Although today has been distinctly wintry on the whole we are surrounded by signs of spring.  Our pond was a ferment of frogs last week, at one point we counted twelve in there, which was quite something as it is not a large pond, only just over a metre long at most.  They have mostly disappeared now, leaving the pond full of frog-spawn.  I love spring, watching the cycle of life getting started again, plants appearing, first as tiny green spikes, then emerging into their full identity, small crocuses or full sized daffodils towering higher and higher.  Watching the buds on the trees, there all winter as tiny promises of the renewal to come, slowly swelling and breaking and the bees emerge from their winter quarters and begin to visit from flower to flower.

Untitled

This has been a good weekend for spring things, despite today's weather, yesterday there were times of gorgeous blue skies and bright, warm sunshine cutting through the crisp breeze.  On my way out I noticed among the many crocuses that have naturalised and are spreading across the front garden most efficiently, one which is striped in purple and white, something I never knew crocuses could do.  On my way home, after dawdling to listen to a blackbird and watch some great tits in the trees - one of them flew close enough past my head that I heard its wing flutter in flight, the first time I have heard that this year - I discovered that crocuses seem to close for the night.  All the flowers had shut in the time I had been out.

Untitled

We have lots of narcissi in the back garden as well as more crocuses, the occasional tulip, a few hyacinths and glorious clumps of primroses.  I adore the "proper" pale yellow primroses, so sunshiny with heart-shaped petals.  Their cousins the cowslips are beginning to flower too.  Continuing the yellow theme we have sighted a yellow butterfly at the bottom of the garden, probably a brimstone I think.

Untitled

Everywhere is new life and this morning's great excitement was the news that we once again had two robins, our robin has been doing some valiant singing recently hoping to attract a mate.  There were two robins in the garden in January but it was probably a bit too early for them to be together and one left again.  So we have high hopes of baby robins come the summer.  However, there have not been as many goldfinches around lately, I hope the robin's aggression has not scared them off.

Untitled

My knitting is keeping with the spring theme too as I am now on the top shaping of the Peerie Flooers hat by Kate Davies, the decrease sections do take some concentration and I have been back re-knitting most rows at least once.  But the finished result is looking beautiful and most spring-like, the Rowan Fine Tweed yarn is gorgeous, with a wonderful lustre.  Hopefully it will be finished soon and my head will match the spring around me.

3 comments:

  1. Lucky you to have all those signs of spring! Yesterday we got 6 inches of snow. I'm a huge Kate Davies fan, and love her Peerie Flooers hat. Yours is looking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so many beautiful things in this post! I believe the stripey crocuses are "Pickwick" - I love them and planted them in tubs this autumn. I'm going to put them in the ground and order more for next spring as well. I love how they "sing" in the sun and then like daisies gather themselves together after dark.

    Your Peerie Floors hat is gorgeous.

    Thanks for your very kind and encouraging comment about our parenting. I loved your "slow dance" metaphor for healing. Yes. I do find that actually dancing with my daughter is a good way to get her moving for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always admired that pattern but doubt the hat would suit me, but if you're someone who suits hats it's a gem I'm sure, it's certainly looking good here. As are all those spring flowers under blue skies!

    ReplyDelete