Monday 13 July 2015

The Year in Books: June

As you can probably tell, I have got thoroughly out of the habit of blogging, not helped by a cat who objects to me spending too much time at the computer and shows her displeasure by attacking furniture and sitting on the keyboard!  However, I have snuck on here while she is asleep upstairs, as I have missed June's year in books I will start there.  Then maybe I will get around to writing about some of the other things I have been doing?  Depends on how long Willow the cat sleeps.


So, June's book was Dear Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster, strictly speaking a children's novel, but a sheer delight.  Published in 1912 it concerns an orphan, Jerusha Abbot, who is sent to college by an eccentric, anonymous benefactor, whose only stipulation is that she write to him each month an account of what she has been doing.  Accordingly it is an epistolary novel, very fresh despite its age, allowing the enthusiasm of its narrator to shine through.  Through her letters we learn about her friends, lessons, sports, dances and sheer delight in the opportunities of the world outside the orphanage in which she has grown up.  The narrowness of her previous experience means that she has something of an outsider's perspective on her new world, everything from the books she reads to going into a private house for the first time are new, interesting experiences and that comes through in her letters.  I devoured this novel and read a good part of it in the dentist's waiting room, where it proved an excellent diversion.  (The dentist's waiting room is a great test of a book in my experience).  Go read it, go on, what are you waiting for?

5 comments:

  1. Wow amazing! I've never heard of this. I love Ardizzone's illlustrations. Wonderful recommendation, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a sequel called Dear Enemy that I recommend - about the new matron of teh John Grier Home and the loacal doctor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have downloaded that but haven't started reading it yet, glad it's good, I'll look forward to it

      Delete
  3. I got this on my Kindle a while back. I did guess before the end who the benefactor was. It was a good read, though. I like quite a few kids' books.

    ReplyDelete